Email: [email protected]
Kevin is reasonable and persistent. He counsels clients to choose legal battles carefully and works to create and keep positive working relationships with co- and opposing counsel. Mindful of judicial resources from his time externing with then Chief Magistrate Judge Lisa Pupo Lenihan in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, Kevin works with his team to gameplan for the entire case at the start of the case and readjusts confidently and quickly when appropriate.
Kevin has consistently helped individuals pursue justice at all levels of the judicial system. Kevin has represented union laborers across Pennsylvania before workers’ and unemployment compensation judges, at social security disability hearings, and before small claims’ courts. He’s tried § 1983 cases for inmates seeking adequate medical care in federal court. And he’s represented groups of consumers and employees in class and collective litigation across the country.
Today, Kevin is a co-founder of and Partner at East End Trial Group. He has a diverse practice and experience centering on consumer protection, cybersecurity and privacy, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Since founding East End in 2020, courts have appointed Kevin as class counsel in many cases concerning the rights of consumers and persons with disabilities.
Giannaros v. Poly-Wood, LLC, No. 1:21-cv-10351, Doc. 28 (D. Mass. May 11, 2022);
Butela v. Midland Credit Mgmt., No. 2:20-cv-1612, 2022 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 76602 (W.D. Pa. April 27, 2022);
Haston v. Phillips & Cohen Associates, LTD, 2:20-cv-01069-WSS, Doc. 45 (W.D. Pa. Nov. 11, 2021);
Murphy v. Eyebobs, LLC, No. 1:21-cv-00017, 2021 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 192676 (W.D. Pa. Oct. 6, 2021);
Murphy v. Charles Tyrwhitt, Inc., No. 1:20-cv-00056, 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 222540 (W.D. Pa. Nov. 25, 2020).
In 2022, Judge Conti of the Western District of Pennsylvania appointed Kevin to a leadership position In Re: Philips Recalled CPAP, Bi-Level PAP, and Mechanical Ventilator Products Litigation, MDL 3014, Doc. 395 (W.D. Pa.). Following this appointment, the Leadership Development Committee voted Kevin to serve as Co-Chair.
Before founding East End, Kevin was a Partner at a national plaintiffs-side class action law firm that The Legal Intelligencer named Litigation Department of the Year for work the firm did while he was a member of that team. During that time, Kevin helped leadership teams prosecute large multidistrict litigations.
In Re Equifax, Inc. Customer Data Security Breach Litigation, MDL 2800 (N.D.Ga.) (Equifax agreed to pay $5.5 million to a putative class of thousands of banks and credit unions and to spend at least $25 million on the financial institutions’ data security);
In re Vizio, Inc. Consumer Privacy Litigation, MDL No. 2693 (C.D. Cal.) (Vizio agreed to pay $17 million to resolve smart-TV owners’ claims it collected and shared data about their viewing habits without consent); and
In Re FedLoan Student Loan Servicing Litigation, MDL 2833 (E.D.Pa.) (a putative nationwide class of student loan borrowers challenges the policies and practices of the country’s largest student loan servicer and the U.S. Department of Education in this pending litigation).
In addition to this consumer practice, Kevin has developed a niche prosecuting disability discrimination claims on behalf of individuals who use screen reader software to access digital content, like a website, mobile app, or email. Kevin has helped secure landmark decisions across the country confirming public accommodations’ duty to make digital content fully and equally accessible to everyone.
In one of the first cases to resolve on a class-wide basis, the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania acknowledged Kevin’s “diligent and effective representation to date and during the Parties’ extensive settlement negotiations” and found Kevin and the entire team at East End “will fairly and adequately protect the interests of the entire class in that case.” Murphy v. Eyebobs, No. 1:21-cv-00017, 2021 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 192676, *8-9 (W.D. Pa. Oct. 6, 2021).
- In Re: Philips Recalled CPAP, Bi-Level PAP, and Mechanical Ventilator Products Litigation, MDL 3014 (W.D. Pa.), Leadership Development Committee Co-Chair (2022)
- Pennsylvania State Court
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Western District of Pennsylvania
- Northern District of New York
- Western District of New York
- Northern District of Illinois
- Eastern District of Michigan
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law Alumni Board of Governors, Vice-President (2021-), Secretary (2019-2021)
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Civil Rights Litigation Committee, Chair (2020-21), Soccer Commissioner (2015-2020)
- Pittsburgh Center for Creative Reuse, President (2014-2016)
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pitt Legal Income Sharing Founding, President (2009-2011)
Honors and Awards
- SuperLawyers, Pennsylvania Rising Star for Class Action & Mass Torts (2021-2022)
- LawDragon, 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers (2022)
- J.D., University of Pittsburgh
- B.A., University of Michigan
- Judicial Extern, Western District of Pennsylvania
- 24-hr Maine Summer Adventure Race, Maine (2021)
- Twisted Branch 100k Ultra, New York (2021)
- Canal Corridor 100 mile Endurance Run, Ohio (2020)
- 50 mile Baker Trial UltraChallenge, Pennsylvania (2018-2020)
- Rachel Carson Trail Challenge, Pennsylvania (many)
- Untamed New England Expedition Adventure Race, Maine (2012)